First introduced in 2014 the LinkedIn Profile Banner received a major overhaul in 2017. What didn’t change, is that it is widely underused. Basically, there are 3 things you need to understand about using a LinkedIn Profile Banner.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- LinkedIn is not Facebook. Instead of adding a picture just cos it is pretty, think about how the image strengthens the message of your profile.
- The dimensions are 4:1 the recommended size being 1584 x 396px.
- If it looks brilliant on desktop it might still look crap on mobile.
HOW TO ADD A BANNER TO YOUR PROFILE
- Top right click “Me” under your tiny little face.
- Choose “View profile”.
- Click “Update background photo”
- Upload a picture in the right dimensions
- Hit “Save”
SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT YOUR LINKEDIN PROFILE BANNER
A picture tells a 1000 words. Truer than ever in creating first impressions. I visited a profile and the LinkedIn Profile Banner had two horses galloping in a meadow. I thought this person might work at some stables. As I was not looking for a horse professional, I nearly clicked away.
Your banner needs to strengthen the message in your headline. So at first glance, people know what you are about. The other option is to have a neutral banner. Be careful though, is it neutral to all readers?